Thursday, March 20, 2014

Aetherra; by Isaac Ostlund; Chapter 1, Mistakes, Part 5

The sun was setting as Dillon walked emptying streets. No longer bright, the city had changed from the dazzling white of midday to a rich red as the sun cast crimson light across the desert. This shift in mood was another thing Dillon loved about this place; the city itself changed color with the day; white at midday, red at dusk, and a silvery blue during the night.  
Dillon wandered aimlessly, musing on shifting colors and thinking of the old man and his hungry children. Everywhere i go, hungry people and fat rulers. This thought, most of all, troubled him in his travels. It was rare indeed to find a city where there were no rich or poor, so rare, in fact, that he had yet to find it.
“There! Grab him!” A voice shouted nearby.
Dillon was ripped from his thoughts by a strong hand and a thick set of arms. As he struggled in the powerful grip, guards filled in the street around him, blocking the way in both directions. The men were wearing the tell-tale red and white of the royal guard, which was bad news indeed.
“It seems the “Phantom of the White City” is not so difficult to catch after all.” One of the men said, stepping forward.
The man had the piercing white eyes of a noble, glowing faintly in the shadows of the evening. He wore the uniform of the guard as well; a loose fitting pair of pants and a finely trimmed white tunic with two red stripes entwined into the fabric. This man also had markings denoting his official rank and was obviously in charge.
Despite his predicament, Dillon couldn’t help but smile. Phantom of the White City? I’ve never heard that one.
“Ah, well, we all have our off days, but “Phantom” might be a bit much,” Dillon replied, letting himself relax in his captor’s grip. “You apparently know who I am, but I have no idea who you are.”
“Remember the name, thief,” sneered the man, stepping closer. “I am Captain Helkir, I tracked you down in less than a day, and I will bring you to the Sahvir myself.”
“Yes, well, about that,” said Dillon stiffly. “I don’t know about phantoms, but I don’t much like being caught.”
And with that Dillon shot up, ramming his head into the jaw of the unsuspecting man holding him. With a shout of pain the man released him, giving Dillon just enough time to sidestep a tackle by the Captain and shove him in the back, toppling him into the recovering guard.
Dillon ran, jumping onto the counter of a nearby booth and vaulting off, sailing over the heads of the guards on the far side of the street.
“Get him!” Shouted Captain Helkir, enraged at his humiliation, “Or I’ll have your heads sent to the Sahvir!”
The royal guards themselves… Maybe I’ve ruffled more feathers than I thought. Dillon sprinted down the street, dodging people, stands, and the occasional camel. Unfortunately, this chase was not going as well as Dillon would have liked. Whenever he thought he was losing his pursuers they would somehow reclose the gap. They’re good, I’ll give em’ that. Definitely better than the normal thugs I have to avoid. Dillon ran up a large stack of barrels and crates lining the street, deliberately toppling the pile as he ran. A loud crash behind him let him know that he had successfully brought the whole thing down. He glanced back and saw most of the men either jumping the mess or plowing straight through, knocking barrels aside roughly. He shook his head in disbelief, that barely slowed them down at all! This chase was quickly losing its thrill as he sought desperately for a way to escape. Suddenly he rounded a corner and saw a man in a doorway, hurriedly motioning for him to enter.
Dillon dove into the man’s house and the door closed quickly behind him. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness inside he looked around. It was not a beautifully adorned home, but it was cozy. A few lamps lit the area with a warm glow and a table and cushions were arranged in the middle of the room. More importantly, he saw a mother and two small children in the corner, staring at him apprehensively.
“Uhh.. Hello.” Dillon said carefully, “Thank you? I suppose?”
“Oh, my friend, my friend! No worry, they are only surprised, they are not knowing who you are!” A man speaking spotty Orran  was quickly closing the windows, glancing back at Dillon as he spoke. He looked vaguely familiar.
“I am sorry, but do I know you?” Dillon asked, still speaking Yhildrish.
“Oh, my name is being Yholdan! And this is my wife, Saree, and my two children. Saree, this is the man! Yes, you once gave me enough frankas to move out of the pit where I was living in. I guess you are not remembering!” The man said happily, apparently unaware of his poor grammar.
They both fell silent as the thundering of footsteps outside told them that the guards were passing by. Dillon took advantage of the moment to examine Yholdan further. He was a large man, both in height and width, wearing the traditional white robe and turban of his people. Dillon thought he recognized the man, but he looked so different Dillon could hardly recognize him. Last time they met, more than a year before, Yholdan had been homeless, dirty, and broken spirited. After waiting a few moments Dillon spoke.
“Well, I am grateful for your help. You can speak to me in Yhildrish, but thank you, you’re Orran is quite good.” Dillon said convincingly.
“You are much to kind!” The man seemed overjoyed that Dillon had complimented him, but he had begun speaking his native Yhildrish. “Because of you my life has been changed forever. I now have a place for my family; I have a home. On top of that I have a good way to keep them both. For this I cannot repay you.”
“I don’t know about that, I only gave you money, if I remember right. You did the rest. Besides,” Dillon said, peeking through one of the windows, “I think we might be even considering you just saved my hide.”
“Ah, I’m sure you would have gotten away somehow. Now, we must move quickly, how are you planning on leaving?” Yholdan asked, sitting down at the table and motioning for his family and Dillon to join him.
“Leaving, you mean your home?” Dillon replied, furrowing his brow.
“No, no, I mean the city of course! You cannot stay here,” said Yholdan.
Dillon sat across from Yholdan and asked “What do you mean, leave the city? Why can’t I stay here?”
“Surely you know?” Yholdan asked, surprised. “The Sahvir has personally called for your death! All of the guard will be out looking for you. You are not safe here.”
“The Sahvir?!” exclaimed Dillon, “Why? I steal things, yes, but why is he concerned with a petty thief?”
Yholdan laughed, it was a deep and booming laugh that made Dillon smile, “Petty?! Ha! You have gotten away with stealing from some of the richest men in the city. Still, I do not know why the Sahvir would busy himself with such affairs, but I know he wants you dead, while I do not. Whatever I can do to help, I offer freely. We must get you out of the city.”
Dillon’s thoughts ran wild, leave Yhildran? It had been over two years since he arrived in and for once he was not thinking of leaving.
“I can’t leave, this place is my home now.” Dillon said quietly.
For the first time Yholdan’s wife, Saree, spoke up “You honor us,” she said sincerely.
To consider a place home was of great importance to the people of Yhildran; it meant it was the place you would die for. For a foreigner to call Yhildran home meant that he had not only moved here, but he had adopted the people, the city, and even the land as his own.
Yholdan nodded, “Yes, it is your home, but until it is safe again you must leave. I am sure this is one of the Sahvir’s passing whims and he will forget you. Once things have calmed down then you can return.”
“I see…” Dillon replied slowly, “Well, you may be right, but I cannot endanger your family any further. Thank you for your help, I’ll find a way to get out.” Dillon began to stand but was quickly interrupted.
“Nonsense,” Saree said, “You have saved my family. Allow us to help you one more time. My brother, he is leaving for the north tomorrow. He can take you in his caravan, no one there will betray you, I can promise.”
“Ah ha! This is why I love this woman, always thinking!” Boomed Yholdan, kissing his hand and motioning to the stars in gratitude. He was obviously convinced his wife was the best woman in the world.
Dillon paused, it was a good idea.
Back north… It had been over six years since he had been there, would he be welcome? Dillon was not sure what kind of reception waited for him, but it was still probably his best choice. Besides, a caravan would be perfect for blending in; all sorts of people left the city to go north and one more Orran going back to Oris wouldn’t raise any suspicions.
Dillon sat back down, “Very well. Thank you, Saree, going north would be perfect.”
“Wonderful, I will speak with my brother tonight.” Saree said.
“Do you have somewhere to stay in Oris?” asked Yholdan.
“Yes, I think I do. Far north, past the great city Vandar, there’s a small village called Kressing, that’s where I’ll go.” Dillon said absently, rubbing his chin.
“That far?” asked Yholdan, “Why? Anywhere in Oris would suffice.”
“Because,” Dillon replied, “it is always good to visit family, isn’t it?”

No comments:

Post a Comment